Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Can We Still Be Friends?

It seemed perfect at first. He was consistent and stable. I always knew what to expect. He knew what I wanted before I even asked. Sure, I gave more than I thought I would have to, but that's to be expected in this kind of relationship, right? I didn't even really notice how wafer-thin and dull he really was. He knew I would always be there.

But then I met someone new. He was a little spicy. He was sweet. He offered variety and loved kids. He didn't ask of me more than I could give. My heart was torn. I wasn't actually committed, right? There was no written agreement. No, it was all unspoken.

I need a change. It's true. I think I'm leaving Cecil Whitakers for Pizza Street. I feel a little guilty. I don't think he even knows I'm out the door. But Pizza Street is much cheaper and I don't have to eat cheese pizza every time OR pay extra for my salad. They have fresh, hot cinnamon rolls on the buffet. They ask if we have any special requests for the buffet when we walk in. The kids even get free ice cream. Sorry, Cecil. You deserve someone who wants exactly what you have to offer. Do you think we could still be friends? Maybe I could visit on an occasional Tuesday? It's not you. It's me...really.

4 comments:

granny2five said...

Wonderful!!

Darla said...

I'd TOTALLY break up with Cecil for Pizza Street!!! I'm actually amazed you were loyal to Cecil for as long as you were! Just think of the great memories you'll have of Cecil...

Our Family said...

I thought of you last night as I went to Del Taco for the fourth week in a row on a Tuesday. I thought of you sitting with your family at Cecil's... I feel let down now... You were at Pizza Street. *sigh*

LissaLou said...

What is Pizza Street? I actually thought of you while we waited over a half-hour for our $1 Butter Burger's - hardly worth the wait, I'm thinking.