Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The 8th Day

So I've been thinking about Big Sissy's question about what God did on the 8th day. This is referring to the 7 days of creation. He spent 6 days creating the world, rested on the 7th day, and then what? I really don't ignore her--I just make fun of myself because she's WAY smarter than I am. So today I finally answered her. She's just going to have to get used to mommy needing some time before I answer her questions. Here's my preschool-appropriate answer.

Q: What did God do on the 8th day?
A: He enjoyed the things He had made.

Sounds simple, I know. So, you might ask, why did it take 2 days for you to come up with that? Well, because I want to be accurate. It isn't as though God made the world and then sent us off to fend for ourselves. He is not now lounging on some sort of "cloud recliner" trying to think of what He can entertain himself with next. The truth is that He's still working. He's doing what God does: creating, renewing, restoring, loving, intervening, forgiving, refreshing. But He is also delighting in His creation. He keeps putting new rainbows in the sky. He keeps making newborn babies. He keeps bringing the flowers back around in the springtime. Even in my little blog--my own creation--I read old posts again and again because I enjoy remembering fun things in my life. A painter enjoys looking at his art and remembering the inspiration behind it all.

Most of all, God delights in us. Of all of His creation, only humans are made in His image. That means we have glimpses of His character in ours. We can create masterpieces because He creates masterpieces. We can love because He first loved us. We want justice because He made us like Him, and he is just. Just as I delight in my children so much that I want to share their cute antics with all of you, He delights in you. A parent enjoys watching his child and seeing himself in the child's personality. God does that with us. Even though we are so often like a rebellious toddler--wanting things our own way and making a mess of it all--He sees Himself in us and sees what we can be when we grow up. More like Him. And He is patiently teaching us and drawing us to Him. And delighting in us in the process.

5 comments:

granny2five said...

What a wonderful way to spend His 8th day - or EVERY day, for that matter! Wonderful post.

dulce de leche said...

That is so good. I really love what you wrote, and will probably look up this post again in the future when I need the reminder. Thanks!

Darla said...

This is a good one!!!!

J, T, G & S Dalton said...

I loved this, just what I needed to ready on a emotional "rainy" day.

The Bailey family said...

Kevin told me you had left a great post after big sissy's question, so I had to read it! I agree, you should do some writing someday!