I am obsessed with movies about the Holocaust. Recently there was a Hallmark movie on about this very subject, and I nearly threw the TV through the window because now that we have the converter box the reception is TERRIBLE. My favorite movie is Life Is Beautiful. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
This all started in 6th grade, when our "enrichment" class studied Germany and WWII. We watched The Diary of Anne Frank, learned some German, and even saw pictures of incinerated bodies piled up. Seriously. I've had nightmares ever since. The recurring dream is that the Nazis are chasing me through my house, which looks like a church, and I have to keep going through secret passageways to get away from them. When I was about 22 I went to a church in Springfield, MO, and I realized that it looked like the church in my dreams. I could picture where the secret tunnels and hidden doors were. Creepy. I think one time they caught me and I never had the dream again...
until this week. Maybe it's the Hallmark movie or the fact that Big Sissy's best friend speaks German. Or it could be the fact that I feel like Christian values are being threatened more and more. But I dreamed that all Christians were being persecuted and forced into hiding. It was kind of an adrenaline rush, actually. This might just prove how boring my real life is. I think, though, that if I ever get to build my dream house I'm going to have a secret hiding place built in...just in case. Is that weird? Wait. Don't answer that.
Do you have a recurring dream?
3 comments:
Watched that same Hallmark movie, and it was very intriguing. I'm always amazed at how strong the human spirit is when it's pushed to the breaking point.
About those nightmares - stop it! That has to be awful!
You are such a multi-faceted young woman.
Kinda weird. I have had recurring dreams in my life, but not since I was a kid. I used to have the same exact, scary dream every time I was sick. If I think about it hard enough I can remember it. It was scary in a strange, creepy way. No monsters or Nazis or anything.
I did many papers about the Holocaust and was Margot in The Diary of Anne Frank. I love learning about it and one of my dreams is to visit the Holocaust museum in D.C. I know it'll be hard, but I want to learn more.
Life is Beautiful is one of my favorites too. I learn something new every time I watch it.
When I was young, I always dreamed that the earth opened up and swallowed my entire family except me (I blame all the media hype on the New Madrid Fault).
Now, IF I dream, I dream about either books I'm reading (like I'm a part of that culture), or about people in my past. I dreamed last night about a friend who has died (she was sick in my dream, but still alive), and my dream before that was that I was a woman in Afghanistan (I was reading a Thousand Splendid Suns).
I think sometimes I dream to process things I'm thinking about when I'm awake.
I've never seen Life is Beautiful. I'm going to add it to my list of "must sees."
Hope tonight is peaceful and dreamless for you.
Post a Comment