I've heard missionaries talking about their country and its corrupt government--how if you have money you can buy your way out of punishment for any crime, etc. I'm just thinking that it's not so different in the good 'ole USA. We've seen plenty of examples of superstars getting away with things, but how about our traffic ticket system? I got a speeding ticket a few months ago (yes, I was breaking the law and had to explain that to my children). We paid into something called a prepaid legal plan, where money comes out of our check monthly and then we get "free" legal services. We did this because we had 3 kids and no will. We decided we should probably have a say in what happened to our children and money in case something ever should happen to both of us.
So...after I got the ticket, we contacted our attorney who did our will. He said he would "take care of it" for us. There are no legal fees, right? The next thing that happened was that I got a letter in the mail saying my charge had been reduced to a noisy muffler violation and that I owed the city $175. The speeding ticket wasn't nearly that much. This is all so weird to me. I got charged with a lesser "crime" and now I'm paying someone a lot more money. This isn't corrupt, right?
2 comments:
This almost seems like a scam to me, or something equally illegal. Don't think I'd pay it before checking some things out.
New Jersey is a nightmare when it comes to things like that. I don't know how expensive car insurance is where you live, but here, speeding tickets raise car insurance premiums through the roof. People beg for more expensive tickets for non-moving violations just to save money in the long run...anything to avoid paying a higher premium.
Post a Comment