Monday, February 23, 2009

How Do You Fondue?

To set the stage, I planned an outing for the moms in my MOPS group. We were supposed to go to the Chocolate Cafe Friday night. I've been there before, so of course I didn't call ahead. I just planned an outing for 9 of us. We showed up at 6:30, and the sign on the door said they closed at 7. Thankfully the new owner (who now calls it LINDSAY'S Chocolate Cafe and Coffee Shop) hasn't decided on her hours yet and is willing to stay open as long as she's getting business. She also has decided to specialize in cheesecake and seriously cut down on the chocolate items on the menu. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the spinach quiche and french onion soup; they're just not chocolate.

The next night I was having company over for homemade pizza. When I started thinking about dessert, I still wanted chocolate. I mean, who goes to the Chocolate Cafe and doesn't have chocolate? It's obscene. So I dug out my fondue pot that has been in retirement since many days B.C. (before children). I wish I had pictures of the spread: marshmallows, brownies, pretzels, strawberries, and bananas. Yummm... I actually asked my guests to cut up brownies and bananas so I could feed Little Buddy and put him to bed (rude, I know). I guess Hubby could only find 5 of the 6 fondue forks because after Big Sissy claimed one, there weren't any left. But don't worry. I had a wooden spoon to dip chocolate on my plate and had the luxury of doing what none of my fine fondue fork friends could do...

7 comments:

Cale Simmons said...

And it was awesome! Thanks!

dulce de leche said...

Yum! Who needs a fondue fork? Just hand me a ladle...

Darla said...

That looks yummy!!! I'm with Dulce... I'll take the ladle!

JM said...

It was absolutely delicious, thank you for being such a gracious host! I've already browsed online for my very own fondue set...now if only I could find light cream!

Blessed Mama said...

Billy and Joanne, it was my pleasure. It was lots of fun. So I still don't know if "4o% heavy" is so the same as "light," but it tasted good!

Elizabeth said...

Yum, yum, yum. And I'm with you. If it's not chocolate, why bother?

p.s. can I add you to my blogroll?

Blessed Mama said...

Elizabeth, I'd be honored to be on your blogroll. And I've already told Beth I can't wait to meet you when you come to STL!