It's so easy in America to take things for granted: our house that keeps us cool in the summer and warm in the winter, 2 cars so that no one is inconvenienced, clothes that not only fit but are stylish, food that is not only nutritious but also convient....the list goes on and on. That's why it makes me crazy when my kids complain about the meals that I make or say, "I'm STARVING." I always say something like, "If you ate something this week, you're not starving."
When my sister put something on her Christmas wish list from a group called "Feed Just One," I looked at the website to see what it was. You can go here for more information, but basically they are a group that feeds girls in Uganda by selling t-shirts. Each t-shirt sale provides 30 meals.
I saw this shirt and I really want it. But then I'm afraid I'm feeding into the American consumerism mentality by wanting the shirt. There seems to be a trend of buying things that profit others somehow (ie. TOMS shoes), but rarely are we willing to help someone without getting something in return.
Anyway...I still love this shirt. I think it would save me a lot of words. And feed 30 people. Everyone wins, right???

No comments:
Post a Comment