Here are some things I have that I do NOT need:
First of all, I do not need this ugly vinyl flooring in my bathroom. Unfortunately, when we moved in the house, replacing this floor was not the priority. I also don't need Toilet Learning, a book my pediatrician recommended. It totally creeps me out. It has pictures of mommies going potty, daddies going potty, firemen going potty, etc. They are rated G drawings, but still...gross. The other book is fun and makes a fun flushing sound when you push the button over and over and over and over...
I also have regular panties, padded panties, plastic pants to go over panties, and plastic panty/regular panty combination. The WalMart bag is for when all the above-listed urine catchers fail while we're out in public. The jar is to collect quarters: one for a potty and two for a poopy. I didn't really choose this method. It sort of evolved from my dad giving Big Sissy quarters when she kept her pull-up dry at their house. I really don't believe in paying people for things they should be doing anyway. I just don't want the sense of entitlement to get started...but here we are giving quarters. The problem is that it is going pretty well, and it's getting expensive. Right now she has exactly 8 quarters and 3 dandelions in her jar.
Here are the things I have that I do need:
And one cute little girl who is more than happy to hang out in Ariel panties while she learns to go potty like a big girl.
Oh, I also have a potty chair which I only use in an emergency (ie. all the other toilets are in use). I can't stand dumping out the urine, cleaning it out, etc. I just want to flush everything away and be done with it. I know big toilets can be scary, but driving a car is scary and I learned to do it, right? Just kidding--sort of. I am hanging onto the potty chair for a while, though. It's apparently much faster than learning to actually walk.
5 comments:
I actually had certain books that could be read ONLY when sitting on the potty. I tried to choose books that I knew they would like (but not their very favorites, because they needed them through the day). We also sang a lot on the potty. Not "bathroom" songs, but cute little Sunday School songs. Don't think there's a secret formula, though. Mine were both trained young (Jeff, especially), but I think it was just because he hated wet or poopy pants. Dondra, not so much!
We are so in the midst of it with you! (although the cute little toilet seat- yeah- we've never used it- we just bought and it now he's scared of it.argh) So proud of Little Sissy for going poo-poo, now can she train JJ?!? I have never talked about pee-pee, poo-poo, potty and anything else that refers to it as much as I have in the past month! I agree- this may be my lease favorite phase of parenting, but I can say that I probably have the cleanest hands than I have ever had in my life! :)
Ooh--I liked Granny2five's suggestions a lot! We lucked out in that both kids trained themselves. I did find out, though, that Ariana was wetting at night because of her food allergies--apparently they can cause bladder spasms (for some kids during the day, too). Once we got rid of the allergens, she was dry every night.
Good luck! This is so cute with Little Buddy pushing the chair; I love how he uses his mouth as an extra appendage to hold what he's carrying. This also reminds me of a girl at school talking about one of her cousins being the first boy in three generations in their family...so the hospital gave them a "manual" on raising boys...and this was fairly recently!
I've got absolutely NO advice on potty training... that was my least favorite (and least "gifted") part of being a mother (so far) as well. Little Buddy seems to have found a great use for the little potty chair, though! He can CRUISE in that thing!
Post a Comment