Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Rain in Spain

We got to do our annual date to the Muny last night. We saw one of my favorites, My Fair Lady. I was laughing because it's the first time in 3 years that I got to go to the Muny and wasn't pregnant! 2 years ago I was having contractions, and last summer was my first time wearing maternity clothes during my pregnancy with Little Buddy.

If you don't know the story, it's about a phonetics professor who takes in a "flower girl" off the streets. He enters into a bet with a colleague to see if he can make her into a lady in 6 months by changing the way she talks. He's rude and demanding, and by the end she falls in love with him. The weird thing is, as I think about it, that he's still rude and demanding at the end. I guess that works for some marriages. It ends with her coming back to the professor's house and saying, "I washed my hands and face before I come" and the professor responding with, "Go fetch me my slippers." We all clapped and cheered because they were together at last. This is the beauty of a musical. Even a bad marriage seems fun if you can sing all day. One of the catchy songs is "Just you wait, Mr. Higgins." It's about her plans to kill him. Maybe I'll try singing the next time I'm really angry. Seems to always result in a happy ending. :)

Here's my favorite quote from the night:
"She's an owl, sickened by my sunshine."--Professor Higgins in My Fair Lady

1 comment:

Bryonie said...

I'm so jealous! The Muny was one of our very favorite STL summer highlights. Wish we could have joined you.