Thursday, May 29, 2008

PawPaw's Ears...among other issues

I don't particularly care for my ears, but that is not what this post is about. Hubby's dad (the kids call him PawPaw) has some difficulty hearing after working for many years in a steel mill. Sometimes this results in some really humorous and confusing conversations. The older grandkids have coined the term "PawPaw's ears" to mean an auditory disfunction. I sometimes have PawPaw's ears myself. Add that to sarcasm and some edginess from having the kids all week by myself and here's how tonight's conversation with Hubby went. (He's been in Chicago for business all week.)

Setting: The girls are in the bathtub, it's already past their bedtime, and I still have to give Little Buddy a bath, go to the grocery store because it's "no coupon Thursday," and I'm exhausted. I'm trying to get the stains out of the kids' clothes that I have been soaking in the sink so that I can use the sink for the baby's bath. I'm working feverishly on a little yellow skirt when Hubby comes sauntering in.

Hubby (pointing to the skirt): Is that lemon?

Me (in my head): OMG. Do skirts come in flavors now? Why does it have to be lemon just because it's yellow? Why can't it be banana? Does it look like a lemon? Furthermore, why are you standing there watching me wash this "lemon" skirt when there are a million things to be done so the kids can get in bed before I fall asleep standing here? If I ignore this question completely, I'm going to look totally rude. On the other hand, if I answer this question, I have no choice but to be sarcastic because WHAT A DUMB QUESTION!!!!

Me (out loud--opting for sarcasm even though I know I'm going to sound like I'm in junior high): I don't know. Why don't you taste it?

Hubby (with a blank look on his face): Huh? What is linen supposed to taste like?

Oops. Thankfully he has a wonderful way of laughing instead of getting mad...usually. Here's the moral of the story. Those with PawPaw's ears should not think snide thoughts about others, and should definitely not talk without clarifying. Note taken.

In case the suspense is killing you, it's 60% linen/40% cotton. *sheepish grin*

No comments: