Monday, July 30, 2007

Transitions

Right now I am watching Little Sissy play with little plastic balls in our basement. She is discovering the cool sound they make when you throw them on the concrete floor. It's such a disappointment to accidentally hit the carpet and not get the same auditory experience. Big Sissy is taking a nap, which is great because she doesn't always. But this is not great because it's 4:00 and Little Sissy took her nap at 11:30. She seems to be transitioning to one nap only, which means they are now on totally different schedules. What this means for me is (1) It's hard to go anywhere because someone's always napping and (2) I'm no longer one of those people napping.

The other transition is that now I would normally be anticipating Hubby'arrival and family dinner time. Last week he started a new job (still at UPS). It's more money, which is much needed and appreciated. But his hours are crazy (mostly nights). Our family time now is after he wakes up (around 1 in the afternoon) and before he goes to work (around 4). We haven't really figured out yet when our husband/wife together time is. The good news is that I think I'm almost over the pregnancy hump. For example, I didn't take a nap all weekend and I was OK, a little tired but still functioning. AND, I ate a salad for dinner last night and was OK (meaning I didn't have to go back later to get 2 hamburgers and a milkshake). This is good for our grocery budget and my weighing-in shock syndrome.

Hopefully soon we'll figure out our family schedule and will have a new normal. Right now I feel confused, like I'm always waiting for something but I'm not sure what is supposed to happen next. This seems to be proof that I am not good at change even though I pretend to be the live-on-the-fly spontaneous one in our family. More updates later on our transitions. In other news, we're shopping for mini vans. This is not a transition I ever thought I would like but I'm actually excited to have more space and the ability to take someone else with us in our car. Big Sissy is a lot like me, however, so I'm already having to talk her through the idea that when we get a van that means we will no longer have our car she's so attached to. I think, in conclusion, that we like new things as long as it means we don't have to let go of anything else good or familiar.

No comments: