Well, if you insist, I'll talk a LITTLE bit more about my schooling dilemma. Because maybe youre not QUITE sick of hearing me waffle back and forth in my decision. Here's what I've realized (at least today). I genuinely desire to homeschool my children. I want to spend the time with them. I want to be involved in their education. I want it to be tailored to their interests and their learning style, and this is just not possible in a crowded public school environment.
But here's the selfish reality: I need a break. Not an every day, all day kind of break--just a couple of days a week kind of break. Maybe that's why I didn't feel the same angst when I signed Little Sissy up for preschool tonight. In fact, I gloated a little that I got there late and was the last person to get into the 2-mornings-a-week slot. I don't even know who I'm competing with, but it made me happy. So why am I not teary about sending her to preschool the same way I am about sending Big Sissy to kindergarten? Maybe it's the first child syndrome. We've always been connected in a very special way. Maybe it's her personality. She's an interesting combination of bright and timid, and I don't want her to get lost (that would never in a million years happen to Little Sissy because she wouldn't let it). Maybe it's just that I can't let go? I shared in an earlier post how I can't stand the thought of letting go of someone I love--not to death. Not even to kindergarten, for Pete's sake!
So I would have already signed Big Sissy up for kindergarten if it had not gotten snowed out. And maybe not for the right reasons, but for a reason that seems compelling at this very moment. I feel weary. Little Sissy had an accident in her bed yesterday, and I told her to just change her pants and scoot over. Seriously. Tonight I sat in the grocery store parking lot and read a magazine because I knew if I went home I wouldn't have time to read it. I just need a little breather. And she wants to do it, so why not try? But I have to admit I feel a little like a loser mom for sending her to school. I don't know why I feel like I have to save the world through every decision I make, but I feel guilty if I make a decision for less-than-noble reasons. And I feel like this is one of those times. It's not about sending her to a dark place to take the light of Jesus. It's not about introducing her to socialization and conflict resolution. It's kind of about wanting to read a magazine without feeling guilty or working out a little or cleaning my house a little. So there it is. Thank you for hearing my confession, and I won't talk about it again until someone has actually enrolled and started attending somewhere.
4 comments:
Good decision. You're less effective if you're overly tired and stressed. Personally, I think Big Sissy is going to LOVE school and do quite well (as will Little Sissy). If you decide to change direction after giving this option a try, that's certainly your perogative. Now, RELAX and enjoy this time.
I think you are doing the right thing by giving it a try!! And
if doesn't work than you can do something different!!
What's not noble about needing to take care of yourself so you can be the best mom/wife/daughter you can be?
You know how much I am in favor of homeschooling, etc., but it sounds to me like you are making the best decision for your family. Your needs are important. And, if things change later on, you can always adjust your schooling choices, as well. Many hugs to you!
Post a Comment